Tuesday 17 April 2007

My Vision.


Tonight I spent the evening with the Bishop of London (Mr. Highgate eat your heart out). He was doing a service to celebrate the opening of our 'Quiet Space' - a place of prayer and quiet reflection, it's for the kids and staff mostly. A lot of posh folks there, I didn't recognise any of them. Jules Pipe didn't turn up - which is good, coz, like we don't get on see. Less than five percent of the community bothered to turn up, I know coz I was like counting. Disappointing, coz, like this is a space for them. This service was in fact for them. But, they couldn't be arsed to turn-up!

A lot of time and effort went into the planning and preparation of this really special event. I felt great afterwards, I really felt that the ones that didn't turn up missed out on something special and I am not being ironic/sarcastic. The preachings of the Bishop and the other holy guys hit a cord. They've obviously got a knack at saying really hard hitting poignant things. Well, I guess that's why he's the Bishop and I'm not. Tall bloke, had his smock on and shepherds staff to boot. I bet that's more effective than a baseball bat. At least when the mugger runs off you can catch them with the hook bit, you know yank them back with it- definitely more multi-functional than a baseball bat.

The music really made an impact - it was lovely. Thank you Jesus, Mary and Joseph too.

This was just some of the music I heard at the at the service:
Music 1 - performed by Locus Iste - A Bruckner.
Music 2 - Performed by Ruth Palmer - Hungarian Dances 1, 4 and 5: Brahms / Joachim (these were my best pieces, she was a fantastic performer - I felt it).
Music 3 - performed by Philip Fowke - Chopin Ballade 1 in G minor.
Music 4 - God be in My Head - Rutter.
Music 5 - Sung Amen: John Amner.
Music 6 - Philip Fowke - Polonaise in Ab Opus 53 Chopin.
A really great night, thank you to the Bishop of London and to all of the talented musicians that performed tonight. Suddenly I wasn't in Hackney. I was transformed - momentarily.
We even saw footage of Princess Margaret opening our great school in 1952.
Bring it on - I want more of this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They won't use it - complete waste of time and money. What these kids need is the cane!

Croydonian said...

"It was the afternoon of my eighty-first birthday, and I was in bed with my catamite when Ali announced that the archbishop had come to see me".

Name that book....